Financial security is dependent on families having the opportunity to save and invest in their future. Whether it be for a college education, retirement, purchasing a home, building a business, or saving for a potential emergency – these are all ways families grow their ability to live beyond paycheck-to-paycheck and translate income into economic mobility over generations.
To get to a place where all Americans are financially secure—particularly low-income people and people of color— requires a set of equity-driven policies and strategies at the community, regional, state, and national levels.
The same groups of people who have been historically left behind in America are rapidly growing in population. By 2042, America will be a people-of-color nation. It is critical that we support programs and policies that create and protect opportunities for families of color to save, invest, and preserve their financial assets. Addressing the racial wealth gap is critical in ensuring sustained economic growth.
Through specific programs and policies, both private and public institutions can remove asset-stripping mechanisms that prevent many low-income families and communities from getting ahead. The PolicyLink financial security team works across sectors and issue areas to lift up key programs, policies, and strategies, so that those who represent America's tomorrow can participate and benefit from an equitable economy.
The Federal Tax Code
- Building an Equitable Tax Code: A Primer for Advocates
- Bringing Tax Wonks & Grassroots Activists Together to End Inequality (@ Properitynow.org)
- Tax Alliance for Economic Mobility (@ Tax Alliance for Economic Mobility.org)
The Financial Services Sector
- Asset Building Policy Network (@ Asset Building Policy Network.org)
- California Asset Building Coalition (@ Cal Asset Buiding Coalition.org)
- Secure Choice auto-IRA program
The Judicial (Justice) System
- Ending the Debt Trap: Strategies to Stop the Abuse of Court-Imposed Fines and Fees
Healthcare Services and Coverage System
- Advisory Board of Campaign to End Medical Debt (@ End Medical Debt.org)
The Public Education System (K-12), and the Higher Education Finance System
- Integrating Family Financial Security into Promise Neighborhoods